A Formula for Food Processing Pest Control
In pest management, preventive tactics that help make your food plant environment unsuitable for pests will be cheaper and more sustainable in the long run than reactive treatments. The “Pest Management Pyramid” graphic below helps visualize the collaborative efforts that help move you toward the goal of preventive and sustainable pest management.
Understanding the Pyramid
- IDENTIFICATION is the base of the pyramid because biological information provides valuable insight to pest vulnerabilities.
- SANITATION deprives pests of the food and shelter they need and can prevent infestations if timed to break life cycles.
- INSPECTION is crucial for detecting pest problems early and to protect from importing pests with supplies.
- MONITORING elucidates developing trends and hotspots for early intervention. It also allows the pest management professional to see what is working and what is not.
- MAINTENANCE of activities that help improve exclusion are helpful for correcting the source of the problem once and for all.
- PESTICIDE APPLICATION can be selected and timed with prevention in mind instead of a reactive solution.