Finding a Pest Management Provider: What You Need to Know
Top-notch pest management is crucial in food processing and manufacturing. A major pest issue could cause profit loss, regulatory compliance penalties, negative publicity and even criminal liability.
With that in mind, how do you decide which pest management provider to hire?
First, the provider you choose should offer a comprehensive Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program which satisfies all applicable audit standards and requirements for food manufacturing and processing companies.
Beyond that, they should have all of the following:
- Extensive food industry experience: The food manufacturing and processing industry is a very specialized area of pest management. Safety rules, varying industrial settings, documentation, audit compliance, professional communications and regulatory compliance must all be considered. Only an experienced provider will be able to understand and address these concerns.
- Applicable credentials: Every technician should be certified and licensed by their state’s regulatory agency. At the higher levels of management or in technical service roles, all representatives should hold proper professional certifications. The company itself also needs a pesticide business license, and each technician should be certified by your state for the specific types of pesticide applications they will use at your facility.
- Technical knowledge: Your pest management provider should serve as your source for up-to-date information, including but not limited to: the latest technology and regulations; methods for identifying unknown insects or foreign materials; and training resources.
- Geographic coverage and consistent service: If your company has multiple processing locations, you’ll want to ensure a potential provider has the ability to service all of them promptly.
- Adequate reporting: Your provider should offer detailed reporting, including regular dashboard reports, so you can follow your pest management status closely. This can also be important for audit compliance.
The five tips listed here can help determine the right pest management provider for your company. Be sure to conduct thorough research on your own before making a final decision. A great provider will help protect your organization’s bottom line and ensure compliance across the board.
Want this information and more for your team? Download our full resource!